Last updated: August 18, 2020
We collect personal information, which is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you (“Personal Information”). We collect Personal Information from customers through a variety of touch points during the course of our business. For example, we may collect Personal Information about you at our retail locations (“in-store”), online when you visit our website www.partycity.com or its related subdomains (“Website”), or through our mobile application (“Mobile Application”).
Collection and use of personal information
Information You Provide To Us
You will be required to provide us with Personal Information if you choose to engage with certain functions on our Mobile Application or Website or with us in-store. This includes when you:
- Create a Party City account. To create a Party City account, you will provide us with personal identifiers, such as your name, date of birth, and email address. Once your account is created, we will maintain your Party City username and password.
- Make a purchase. If you make a purchase, you will need to provide your personal identifiers, such as your name, physical address, and email address, as well as customer records information, including payment card number. When you make a purchase, we also collect and maintain commercial information about you, such as products purchased, obtained, or considered, and purchasing and consuming tendencies.
- Participate in social media. You may choose to share your own personal identifiers, such as your name and any other personal information you choose to include in your post, through our ratings and review pages, and social media pages. If you tag a publicly available social media post with a reference to Party City, with your permission, we may also collect an image of you that you choose to include in your post.
- Interact with us. When you communicate with us or send us any feedback, questions, requests for support, comments, suggestions, ideas, or interact with us in any way, you will need to provide personal identifiers, including your name and email address.
- Subscribe to Party City updates and promotions. You have the option of signing up for Party City email updates or our FUN text message updates for products and offers that may be of interest to you. To sign-up, you will need to provide us with personal identifiers such as your name, email address and/or telephone number. When you sig-up, we may use your personal information to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email we send or by texting “STOP” to 94467.
- Move around in our store. If you visit one of our Party City locations, video of you will be captured by our CCTV footage.
- Apply for a job with Party City. Our use of personal information of applicants is addressed in our Applicant Privacy Notice.
- Enroll in Party City Perks. If you enroll in Party City Perks in a store, we will collect your personal identifiers such as your name, email address, and birthday. Any information collected to enroll in Party City Perks will be used to convey to enrolled customers benefits that Party City may occasionally offer such as gifts, coupons, discounts, prizes, and other benefits. We also use the information you provided to us, together with information collected from your purchases (including items and quantities purchased and locations and date or purchase) to better understand your preferences (for example what products you purchase or when) and based on this understanding, provide you with additional offers.
- Contact our customer care team. If you contact our customer care team via telephone, we may collect any personal information that you choose to provide to us over the phone.
Information Collected Automatically from You
We also collect internet and other electronic network information and location information automatically as you navigate our Website or Mobile Application. This information is collected by cookies and other similar technologies. Cookies are text files that your web browser places on your device when you visit a website. Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies. Persistent cookies stay on your device for a set period of time or until you delete them, while session cookies expire when you close your web browser.
The cookies and other technologies deployed through our Website and/or Mobile Application collect internet and other electronic network information and geolocation data as follows:
- Usage Information. Information on your interaction with our Website and Mobile Application, such as the pages on our Website or Mobile Application you access, the frequency of access, what you click on, and when you accessed the Website or Mobile Application.
- Location Information. Information about your location, which may be determined through your IP address.
- Mobile Device Information. If you use our Mobile Application, your device may share location information, if enabled, with our Mobile Application. We use geolocation and other technologies to find stores and products near you, get you real-time deals, and more.
- Device Information. Information about the device you are using, such as hardware model, operating system, browser, and your Website or Mobile Application preferences.
Social Media Widgets
Our Website and Mobile Application includes social media features, such as Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter widgets. These features may collect electronic and other internet activity information, such as your IP address and which page you are visiting on our Website or Mobile Application. These widgets may set a cookie or utilize other tracking technologies to accomplish this. Social media features and widgets are hosted by a third party and your interactions with those features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them. Such sharing through cookies may be deemed a sale under the California Consumer Privacy Act. To opt-out of the sharing, see Do Not Sell My Personal Information. To learn about the types of cookies we use, please see our Cookies policy.
We may also collect information about you from social media platforms and networks if you post content publicly or to our social media account (e.g. by using a hashtag) or if you post content to third-party social media hosts such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.
How we use your Information
Party City uses the Personal Information that we collect about you for a variety of purposes. Specifically, we may use this Personal Information for the following purposes:
Product Service and Fulfillment
- Fulfill and manage your purchases, payments, and returns or exchanges
- To deliver your purchases
- To provide you with requested services, such as online invitation services
- Process your payment
- Create and maintain your Party City account
- Communicate with you about the Website, the Mobile Application, or your account
- Inform you of any changes to the Website or Mobile Application
- Respond to your questions or inquiries
- To provide customer support
- Engage in internet-based advertising
- Provide you with information on products or services we feel may be of interest to you
- Deliver coupons or other offers, emails, text messages, and targeted advertising as requested by you
- Administer promotions and surveys
- Administer Party City Perks
- Provide interactive features of our Website or Mobile Application, such as product reviews
- Maintain the security of our in-store locations
- Maintain and improve our Website or Mobile Application
- Monitor user experience
- Engage in quality assurance of our customer care team
- Monitor our customer care communications
- Engage in fraud identification and prevention
- Assist in resolving any Website or Mobile Application issues
- Defend our rights and the rights of others
- Efficiently maintain our business
- Process your application to work with us (See our Applicant Privacy Notice)
- Comply with applicable law
- We use aggregated or de-identified information for research and benchmarking
Information Sharing in General
- Service Providers. We may share the Personal Information we collect with entities that provide support services to us, such as analytics providers, call center providers, customer support providers, chat providers, email providers, shipping service providers, payment processors, web hosting providers, and e-commerce providers that assist us in taking orders, managing orders, and resolving customer issues. We also share the Personal Information we collect with entities that provide us with support to market our products and services, including internet-based advertising.
- Corporate Reorganization. In the event that we enter into, or intend to enter into, a transaction that alters the structure of our business, such as a reorganization, merger, acquisition, sale, joint venture, assignment, consolidation, transfer, change of control, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock, we would share Personal Information with third parties, including the buyer or target (and their agents and advisors) for the purpose of facilitating and completing the transaction. We would also share Personal Information with third parties if we undergo bankruptcy or liquidation, in the course of such proceedings.
- To Prevent Harm. We will share Personal Information if we believe it is necessary to detect, investigate, prevent, or take action against illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the rights, property, or personal safety of any person.
- Legal Purposes. We will share Personal Information where we are legally required to do so, such as in response to court orders, law enforcement or legal process, including for national security purposes; to establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights, as required to enforce our terms of service or other contracts; to defend against legal claims or demands; or to comply with the requirements of any applicable law.
- With Your Consent. Apart from the reasons identified above, we may request your permission to share your Personal Information for a specific purpose. We will notify you and request consent before you provide the Personal Information or before the Personal Information you have already provided is shared for such purpose.
- Non-Identifiable or Aggregate Information. We may share non-identifiable or aggregated information with third parties for lawful purposes. This includes information that cannot reasonably identify, relate to, describe, be capable of being associated with, or be linked, directly or indirectly, to a particular consumer.
Sharing within the Preceding 12 Months
For a Business Purpose:
In the preceding 12 months, Party City has disclosed the following categories of Personal Information for a business purpose with the following categories of third parties:
- We have disclosed your personal identifiers, internet or other electronic network activity, your customer records information, and geolocation data to data analytics providers, operating systems, and other third parties to help us perform services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytics services, providing email communications, providing delivery services, and hosting our Website.
- We have disclosed your personal identifiers, geolocation data, and internet or other electronic network information to IT support and data analytics providers to detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and to identify and repair Website and Mobile Application errors that impair functionality.
- We have disclosed your personal identifiers, internet or other electronic network information, and geolocation to data analytics providers and operating systems to help us undertake activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by Party City, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by Party City.
- We have disclosed your personal identifiers, geolocation data, and internet or other electronic network information to data analytics providers and operating systems to undertake internal research for technological development and demonstration.
Sale of Information
In the preceding 12 months, Party City has sold your internet or other electronic network activity collected via cookies to data analytics providers and ad networks. We may have also shared your identifiers and information collected from your purchases with other third parties, which may be a sale under the CCPA. You may opt-out of either such sharing at any time through Do Not Sell My Personal Information.
Your Information Choices
Correct or view your profile information. If you have an online account with us, you can review and change your personal information at any time by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page. Here, you can make changes to your name, password, postal address, email address, phone number, or credit card information that you had previously entered.
Cookies. You can update your cookie settings at any time by clicking Do Not Sell My Personal Information. To learn more about what cookies we use and for what purposes, please see our Cookies policy.
Online advertising generally. To opt-out of interest based advertising generally or to learn more about the use of this information by our service providers you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance. If you choose to opt-out, we will place an "opt-out cookie" on your computer. The "opt-out cookie" is browser specific and device specific and only lasts until cookies are cleared from your browser or device. The opt-out cookie will not work for essential cookies, which are cookies that are important to how our Website works. If the cookie is removed or deleted, if you upgrade your browser or if you visit us from a different computer, you will need to return to the links above to re-select your preferences.
Device location settings. You may prevent your mobile device from sharing your location data by adjusting the permissions on your mobile device or within the Party City Mobile Application.
Marketing and promotional emails. You may opt-out of receiving marketing and promotional emails from us by clicking the “unsubscribe” link provided at the end of each email. Please note that we will continue to send you notifications necessary to the Website, the Mobile Application, and your Party City account to your email address.
Mobile offers. We may send you SMS text messages if you have consented to receive mobile offers through our FUN program. You can cancel text messages at any time by texting “STOP” to 94467. After you opt-out, we will send you a confirmation message that you have successfully unsubscribed. You can learn more about our FUN program here.
Uninstall our Mobile Application. You can stop all further collection of your Personal Information by the Party City Mobile Application by uninstalling the Mobile Application.
Push notifications. If you have enabled push notifications on the Mobile Application, you may disable these at any time by updating your device settings. If you have enabled push notifications on your web browser, you may disable these at any time by clicking into the message and opting-out of future notifications.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. We protect your personal information by maintaining physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards. All personal information that you may provide on any of Websites will be Transport Layer Security (TLS) encrypted. Party City also uses computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption methods to protect your information.
If you have an online account, please avoid sharing your password or using any information that others can easily learn about you, such as a family member's name or birthday. We also recommend that you frequently change your password. When you are finished with a session on our Website, be sure that you log out and close the browser window so nobody can pick up where you left off.
Unfortunately, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your Personal Information. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk.
“Do Not Track”
We do not support Do Not Track (“DNT”). Do Not Track is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked. You can enable or disable Do Not Track by visiting the Preferences or Settings page of your web browser. For further details, visit https://www.eff.org/issues/do-not-track