Thomas Fondant Cake How-to
Here's how to create the fondant cake featured in our Boys Birthday Cake Ideas Gallery.
- Two frosted cakes of different sizes
- White fondant
- Blue fondant
- Green fondant
- Yellow fondant
- Brown icing color
- White icing tube
- Green icing tube
- Red icing tube
- Fondant roller
- X-Acto knife
- Tip coupler
- Wilton decorating tip 352
- Wilton decorating tip 3, 4 or 5
- Wilton decorating tip 12
- Wilton decorating tip 233
- Thomas toy
- Roll out and smooth your blue fondant over both cakes and trim off excess with an X-Acto knife.
- Roll out your green and yellow fondant. Using an X-Acto knife, cut out shapes for hills from the green fondant and a sun from the yellow fondant.
- Take a small ball of white fondant and knead it until it's soft. Divide the ball into two and use a toothpick to dot brown icing color onto one of them. Knead until the color is evenly distributed and the ball is light brown. Repeat with another ball of fondant, this time increasing the brown icing color for a deeper brown. Roll out both balls of fondant.
- Take the light brown fondant and use an X-Acto knife to cut out rectangular strips (for the tracks) and rounds (for the tunnel entrance). Take the darker brown fondant and cut out shapes for the tunnel and tree trunks.
- Dab all of your fondant cutouts with water and attach to cake.
- Fit the tube of green icing with the tip coupler and tip 352 and pipe leaves onto the trees. Switch the tip to 233 and pipe grass around the base of the cake.
- Fit the tube of red icing with the tip coupler and tip 3, 4, or 5 and pipe apples onto the trees.
- Fit the tube of white icing with the tip coupler and tip 12 and pipe on clouds.