Pumpkin Whoopie Pie Recipe
Here's how to make the pumpkin whoopie pies with cream cheese filling featured in our Thanksgiving Appetizer and Dessert Ideas Gallery! Makes 12 pies.
For the cookies:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 15-oz. can of pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1 8-oz. package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon (or more to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (first eight items).
3. Beat together the brown sugar, white sugar, oil and canned pumpkin. Beat in the eggs one at time, then the vanilla.
4. Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
5. Using a pastry bag with a round tip or a zip-top bag with one corner snipped, pipe out circles of batter, starting from the middle and working outward. Circles of batter should measure about two inches in diameter.
6. Bake for 11 minutes.
7. While the cookies are baking and cooling, make the filling. Beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth, followed by the powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
8. Frost half the cookies and top with the remaining cookies.