Piña Colada Cupcakes Recipe
Want to add a little extra zing to your luau, summer party or adult birthday party? Then try these delicious rum and coconut-infused Piña Colada Cupcakes, featured in our Sweet Ideas for Luau Party Treats gallery! These tasty tropical desserts will make your guests feel as if they've entered a peaceful, island oasis – perfect for satisfying a poolside sweet tooth!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon coconut rum
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple (or pineapple from a can, strained well)
- Buttercream Icing mix (plus ingredients)
- Standard muffin/cupcake baking pan
- 2 dozen jewel tone standard baking cups
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Disposable decorating bags
- Round decorating tip
- Standard decorating tip coupler
- Maraschino cherries
- Pineapple wedges
- Toasted coconut
*available at Party City stores
- Preheat the oven and prepare the pan. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard cupcake pans with 24 paper liners.
- Mix dry ingredients together. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat butter and brown sugar together. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add remaining wet ingredients. Add eggs, one at a time, to the large mixing bowl. Next add rum and cream of coconut and mix until combined.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together. Add dry ingredients, half at a time, mixing and scraping down bowl between additions. Mix only until flour is just incorporated.
- Add the piña! Gently fold in bits of pineapple.
- Bake the cupcakes. Fill cupcake liners with batter until each is two-thirds full. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Prep your garnishes. While cupcakes are baking and cooling, prepare buttercream icing as directed and slice pineapple into wedges.
- Decorate your cocktails! Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe buttercream frosting onto cupcakes. For tropical flair, top with maraschino cherries, pineapple wedges and toasted coconut.
Wilton and the Wilton Logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Wilton Industries, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.