Patriotic Cake Pops How-To
As featured in our 15 Sweet Party Ideas Gallery, these adorable Patriotic Cake Pops are a fun and easy way to celebrate the stars and stripes this Independence Day! Your guests will have trouble deciding which pop they like better – the thrilling burst of fireworks or another bite of this all-American treat!
- Red candy melts
- Royal blue candy melts
- White cookie icing
- White sugar sprinkles
- 1 can prepared vanilla frosting
- Favorite cake recipe or cake mix (plus ingredients)
- 50 cookie sticks
- Wax paper
- Cookie sheet
- Chocolate melting pot
- Prep the cake. Bake cake as directed on package. When completely cool, break the cake into crumbs by hand in a large bowl. Mix in full can of frosting until well blended.
- Make cake balls. Roll the cake mixture into 50 1-inch balls and place on waxed paper.
- Melt the candy melts as directed. For the "stars" of your flag, use the royal blue candy melts. For the "stripes" pops, use the red candy melts.
- Add the sticks. Dip a cookie stick about 1/2 inch into warm candy melt and insert the stick into the rounded part of a cake ball. Repeat for remaining cake balls.
- Prop up pops. Place pops cake end down, on waxed paper while the chocolate is still slightly warm, so the candy hardens into a flat surface at the top (this will help your pops stand up when serving).
- Cool the pops. Place the cake pops in the freezer for about 10 minutes, or in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, to firm.
- Add a second layer of chocolate. Once the pops are firm, remove from the fridge/freezer and dip each into the melted chocolate, tapping excess chocolate off.
- Sprinkle on the stars. Decorate the blue pops with white sprinkles before chocolate coating hardens.
- Drizzle on the stripes. Drizzle white cookie icing over the red pops after chocolate coating hardens.
- Make your flag fly! Line up your pops to create the Stars and Stripes on a tray. They'll gobble up your sweets with spirit!
Wilton, the Wilton Logo and Candy Melts are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Wilton Industries, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.