Bubbly New Year's Eve Cake How-To
Count down with cake! Sweeten up your champagne toast with this glam tiered cake from our Elegant New Year's Eve Party Ideas. A ritzy gold, silver and pink color scheme is grand for "blinging" in the New Year.
- 2 two-layer round cakes, 10" and 12" in diameter
- Buttercream icing
- 3 boxes pre-rolled white fondant
- Pre-rolled black fondant
- Light pink gumballs (about 8)
- Pearl white gumballs (about 12)
- White Sixlets®* (about 70)
- Gold sparkle gel icing
- Royal icing
- Fondant roller
- Fondant smoother
- Pizza cutter or paring knife
- Small paintbrush
- Decorative paper cutout
- 8" skewers
- 14" cake platter
*available at Party City stores
Instructions:Note: You'll need to prepare the golden fondant "bubbles" a day ahead.
- To prepare your cake rounds for the fondant, ice them with a layer of buttercream icing.
- Roll out two boxes of white fondant and cover both cakes, trimming off the excess with a pizza cutter or paring knife. Stack the cakes on the platter.
- Roll out the black fondant and cut two long strips, each about one-inch wide. Make sure the two strips are long enough to wrap around the cakes. Dab the black fondant strips with water and attach to the bases of the cakes.
- Create some glimmering golden bubbles! Use the third box of white fondant to make small "bubbles" from small bits of fondant rolled into balls. You can experiment with the sizes – we made ours roughly the sizes of Sixlets and large gumballs.
- Let the fondant balls dry overnight. When dry and hardened, coat them with the gold sparkle gel, using a paintbrush to evenly spread the gel. Let dry for several hours.
- Use royal icing to "glue" your golden fondant balls, the gumballs and the Sixlets onto the cakes. Arrange all the lustrous bubbles so they look like they're cascading from the top of the cake. Be sure to save the largest gumballs for the top and edges of the cake and the cake plate, as they're too heavy for the sides.
- Add some pizzazz! Glue your favorite NYE-themed paper cutouts to a bamboo skewer and insert into the cake. When the clock strikes midnight, cut the cake, pop a few bottles of bubbly and you're golden for the year to come!