Scary-Cute Monsters U Fondant Cake How-To
Your little monsters will feel like they're at Scare School when you bring out this fondant-n-candy cake from our Monsters University Party Ideas Guide. Dig into our Boys Birthday Cake Ideas Gallery for more sweet ideas for cakes!
- Two 10" cake rounds
- Buttercream icing mix
- 2 boxes pre-rolled white fondant
- Sky blue icing color
- Pre-rolled black fondant
- Royal blue gumballs (about 50)
- Purple gumballs (about 25)
- Dark purple gumballs (about 25)
- Monsters University Candles
- Fondant roller
- Fondant smoother
- Pizza cutter or paring knife
- 16" round cardboard platter
- It's easy to decorate a scream-worthy cake! First, to prepare your cake to be covered with fondant, ice it with a layer of buttercream icing.
- You'll be tinting two small batches of white fondant two shades of blue. Make ball of white fondant using half the contents of one box, and knead until soft. Use a toothpick to dot sky blue icing color onto the fondant and knead until color is evenly distributed. Tint about half that batch a darker blue to get a darker shade for the letter "M".
- Roll out the white fondant. Place over the cake and smooth using a fondant smoother and trim off the excess using a pizza cutter or paring knife.
- Roll out the lighter blue fondant and cut ten strips using a pizza cutter or paring knife. Dab fondant with water to attach to cake.
- For the letter "M", cut the darker blue fondant into a letter M. (Either freehand it or print out a letter and trace it.) Add some scary style by making a white eye and a black eyeball!
- Place the cake on a cool silver platter and decorate the top and bottom with gumballs, "glued" with royal icing.
- The finishing touch: add some smart candles! The kids will have fun identifying them as Mike, Sulley, Art and Scott "Squishy" Squibbles – and your birthday star will have a blast blowing them out!