Football Cake Pops Recipe & How-To
Here's how to create these cake pops featured in our Football Party Dessert Ideas Guide.
- 1 box of a store-bought cake mix (and all ingredients needed for mix)
- 1 can or 2 cups prepared frosting
- Light cocoa Wilton candy melts
- White Wilton candy melts
- 40 cake pop sticks
- Wax paper and cookie sheet
- Wilton's Basic Cake Decorating Kit
- Styrofoam block or colander
- Bake cake as directed on package. After cake is completely cool, break up the cake into crumbs by hand into a large bowl. Mix in entire can of frosting until well blended.
- Roll your cake mixture into 1" balls and place on cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes to firm up before shaping into football shapes.
- Meanwhile, melt light cocoa candy melts as directed on package.
- Once the pops are firm, remove from fridge and work each cake ball with your hands into the desired "football" shape.
- Dip the end of each cake pop stick into the melted chocolate, then insert each stick into one of your football-shaped cake balls, a little more than half way through the football.
- Place cake pops back on the waxed paper and refrigerate again, for about 20 minutes.
- Remove pops from fridge, dip the entire cake pop into the melted chocolate and place pops upright on Styrofoam, or insert into holes in upside-down colander, until chocolate is completely dry.
- While pops are cooling, melt white chocolate candy melts as directed, then scoop into decorating bag.
- Once the pops are completely cooled, use decorating bag to pipe laces onto the football pops. Set back into Styrofoam or colander to cool.
- Arrange in a Cake Pop Display Stand â or in a cool team-logo container filled with a sturdy base such as Styrofoam covered with crinkle paper shreds or candy in your favorite football team's colors.
Makes approximately 40 cake pops