Dreamy Cinderella Cake How-To
Your little princesses will adore this bibbidi-bobbidi-boo-tiful cake from our Cinderella Party Ideas Guide! Waltz over to our Girls Birthday Cake Ideas Gallery for more sweet cake ideas for a dream-come-true birthday party.
- 2 two-layer round cakes, 6" and 10" in diameter
- Buttercream icing
- 2 boxes pre-rolled white fondant
- Sky blue icing color
- Pink icing color
- Rose icing color
- Blue icing tube
- Almond extract
- Pearl sprinkles
- Cinderella birthday candles
- Kitchen knife
- Fondant roller
- Fondant smoother
- Pizza cutter or paring knife
- Food-safe paintbrushes
- Decorating tip
- 14" cake platter
- To prepare your stacked cakes to be covered with fondant, ice them with a layer of buttercream icing.
- Divide one box of white fondant into two balls – one for each cake. Knead the larger ball until soft. Using a toothpick, dot sky blue icing color onto the fondant, and knead until color is evenly distributed.
- Roll out the blue fondant. Place over the larger cake and smooth using a fondant smoother. Trim off the excess with a pizza cutter or paring knife.
- Now, it's time to paint! In a small bowl, thin out some sky blue icing color with almond extract. Using a food-safe paintbrush, paint sky blue color around the cake about 1" from the top.
- While your "paint" dries, repeat Step 4 with pink and rose icing colors. Paint rings around the base of the larger cake to create a gorgeous ombré effect.
- When the last color has dried, use the blue icing tube to pipe elegant swirl designs around the cake.
- Now, for the smaller cake: Knead the smaller ball of white fondant until soft. Roll out the fondant and cut a long rectangular piece to wrap around the cake.
- Using the technique in Step 4, paint on thinned sky blue icing color to create an ombré effect. When your "paint" has dried, wrap the fondant around the smaller cake. Place the smaller cake on top of the larger cake.
- From the second box of white fondant, prepare 1-inch-wide strips of fondant long enough to wrap around the base of each cake. Adhere each fondant strip with dabs of water.
- Fondant can look just like fabric! To get the look, cut out 5-inch-by-3-inch sheets of white fondant. Create three "folds" and "drape" your fondant along the edge of the cake.
- Fashion 3-inch-wide bows using a paring knife. Dab water on the back of each bow and stick one where each fondant "drape" meets.
- You're nearly done! Give this cake some sparkle by "gluing" pearl sprinkles all over the side of the top cake with royal icing.
- It's time to create the clock face! After you've created a circle of pearl sprinkles, use a black icing tube to draw the numbers and clock hands.
- Pretty Cinderella birthday candles are the final flourish on this birthday cake fit for a princess!