Angry Birds Fondant Cake How-to
Caw, caw! This cake will take your bird-tastic bash to the next level! Nibble on lots more awesome cake ideas in our Boys Birthday Cake Ideas Gallery and Angry Birds Party Ideas Guide.
- Two 10" cake rounds
- Buttercream icing mix
- 2 boxes white rolled fondant (48 oz.)
- Icing color in black, red, orange, sky blue, green and brown
- Pearl sprinkles for clouds
- Red mini gumballs for Angry Bird's crown
- Angry Birds candles
- Fondant roller
- Fondant smoother
- Wilton decorating tip 233 for grass (in 2pc. decorating tip set)
- Icing decorating bags and coupler
- Pizza cutter or paring knife
- Gum paste, optional for slingshot
- 14" round cardboard platter
- Game on! First prepare your cake for the fondant by icing it with a thin layer of buttercream icing.
- To tint white rolled fondant blue, Knead a ball of white fondant until soft. Set aside a small chunk for later use. Tint the rest light blue by using a toothpick to dot sky blue icing color onto the fondant and kneading until color is evenly distributed. Roll out the blue fondant and smooth it over the cake using a fondant smoother. Trim off the excess with a pizza cutter or paring knife.
- Using the same tinting technique to color a chunks of white fondant (to make Red Bird and Yellow Bird!) with the orange, red, yellow and black icing color.
- Roll cut out shapes to make the clouds and the birds. Freehand if you feel comfortable, or make some sketches first and cut the fondant to them. Dab the shapes with water to attach to the cake. Have fun getting creative! We used pearl sprinkles for cloud puffs and "glued" on mini red gumballs with royal icing for Red Bird's crown!
- To create the grass, fill a decorating bag with green-tinted icing, then fit it with a coupler and decorating tip 233. Starting at the base of the cake, pipe the icing upwards using quick short strokes. Continue around the cake.
- Bombs away! To make a slingshot, tint some gum paste with brown icing color and shape by hand into a slingshot. Use a bit of black fondant for the details. You can also make a smaller version of this idea using brown-tinted fondant.
- Top it off with adorbs Angry Birds candles, wavy candles and a number candle. We heart this cool cake!